Playing Disc Golf at Night: A Guide to Glow Disc Golf
Table of Contents
Have you ever played disc golf during the day and thought to yourself, “I wish I could play this at night too!”? Well, we have good news for you! Nighttime disc golf is most definitely a thing! Playing disc golf at night can add a whole new level of excitement and challenge to the game. But before you head out to the course, there are some essential things you need to know.
In this guide, we will cover everything from necessary equipment like glow-in-the-dark discs and accessories, to tips on how to improve your game after dark, safety tips, and how to pick the right course for glow golf.
Essential Glow Disc Golf Equipment
To fully enjoy the world of glow disc golf at night, there are some necessary equipment and accessories you’ll need:
- Glow Discs
- An LED or UV flashlight
- Glow Tape (optional)
- Basket Lights
Glow in the Dark Discs
First and foremost are the glow discs themselves. These specially designed discs light up the night, allowing you to see and track them as they soar through the darkness. Glow discs are availble in all disc types: putter, midrange, fairway driver, and distance driver.
Standard glow discs are offwhite in color and glow neon green. But tinted color glow discs are also available, and can be found primarily in blue, orange, and pink.
Innova Glow Discs
- Putters, Midrange, and Drivers
- Popular disc models
- Two plastics to choose from
- Wide selection of weights
Disc Golf UV Flashlight
You’ll need a strong flashlight to charge the your discs throughout the round. An traditional LED flashlight will work, but a UV (also known as a blacklight) flashlight will charge discs faster and brighter.
Innova UV Flashlight
- 7 Light Modes
- UV and LED Combo
- USB C Rechargeable Battery
- IP67 Waterproof
- Zoomable Light Ring
- Magnetic Base
- Charging Cable Included
Lighting Up The Basket and/or Tee Pad
Looking to enhance your glow golf experience? Basket lights are highly recommended. Use inexpensive LED lights and put them on top of the basket pointed down. This will light up the chains and basket, making it much easier to aim and putt in the dark.
Keeping an extra flashlight on hand can also be useful for finding discs after a throw, navigating the course, and to avoid tripping hazards.
You can also apply glow tape to the basket for enhanced visibility from a distance.
10 Tips to Improve Your Disc Golf Game at Night
- Practice: throw your glow discs during the daytime to become familiar with their flight characteristics.
- Use A Spotter: Have a friend stand near where you expect the disc will land to help spot where it goes.
- Wear a Headlamp: A headlamp keeps your hands free and helps you navigate the course and find your discs.
- Bring Extra Batteries: Always have extra batteries on hand for your lights.
- Play Familiar Courses: Stick to courses you know well to avoid getting lost and to have a better idea of where your disc might land.
- Keep it Simple: Play with fewer discs to minimize the chance of losing them.
- Nighttime Etiquette: Be mindful of noise and light, as other players or nearby residents might be disturbed.
- Bring a Friend: Safety in numbers and it’s more fun to play with a buddy.
- Pack Hand Warmers: Most glow rounds are played in the colder months and it gets cold after dark.
- Sip Sip: Bring along a thermos filled with your favorite hot drink.
Innova Electronic Handwarmer
- Super Compact & Rugged
- USB-C Rechargeable
- 4 Heat Settings
- Dual Sided Heat
- 10,000 Mah Power Bank
- IPX5 Water Resistant
- Built in LED light
Selecting the Right Course for Night Play
When it comes to playing disc golf at night, selecting the right course is crucial for an enjoyable experience.
- Make sure the course allows night play. Check the course hours.
- Pick a course that has adequate ambient lighting.
- Choose a course that is fairly open. Avoid heavily wooded courses and courses with water where discs can be lost more easily in the dark.
- Consider courses that are well maintained to avoid tripping hazards.
- Familiarize yourself with the course layout and potential obstacles and hazards beforehand.
- Get recommendations from local disc golfers. They will likely know the best courses for night play.
- Be sure to check the course rules and regulations, as some may have specific guidelines or restrictions for nighttime play.
Nighttime Disc Golf Safety
Play smart & stay safe! Always carry a regular flashlight or cell phone with a flashlight app for emergency situations and course navigation. Be mindful of other disc golfers on the course. Never throw when there is a chance other players are in front of you. Stay hydrated, wear appropriate clothing to stay warm, and use bug spray to stay comfortable throughout your night round.
When the sun goes down, the fun doesn’t have to stop! Playing disc golf at night is something you have to experience for yourself. With the right equipment and a group of friends, get ready for a moonlit romp you won’t soon forget!
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes glow discs glow?
Glow discs glow because they are made from special plastic containing phosphorescent material. These discs absorb UV light, which is stored temporarily and emitted over time, creating a vibrant glow.
How do you charge glow disc golf discs?
To charge glow disc golf discs, simply move a flashlight back and forth over the surface of the disc. The closer the light is, the more intense the effect will be. Repeat this process before every throw or as needed.
How long do glow in the dark discs last?
The lifespan of glow in the dark discs can vary depending on their brand and plastic type. On average, discs will glow the brightest for the first few minutes. The glow will gradually fade, but may last for an addition 10 minutes to several hours. To extend their glowing time, recharge them with a flashlight or UV light. It’s recommended to have multiple glow in the dark discs on hand for extended night play.
What is the best light to use for glow discs?
UV light works the best and produces the brightest glow. Although, LED lights still work perfectly fine as well. Experiment with different lights and choose what works best for you.
Can you play golf disc golf with regular discs?
While regular discs can be used for glow disc golf, it is best to use specially made glow discs. These discs are designed with a phosphorescent material that glows in the dark, providing better visibility. Regular discs may be difficult to find and may not offer sufficient visibility for safe play.
Is disc golf more challenging at night?
Glow disc golf presents an added challenge, relying more on your muscle memory than visual feedback. Estimating distance and navigating the dark environment can be more difficult. Glow discs may have slightly different flight characteristics than their conterparts in other plastics, requiring adjustments in your throw. Colder weather can also affect the flight characteristics of your discs.
Need help finding the perfect disc for a specific shot, better accuracy, or more distance? We’re here to help! Just follow the link below to answer a short questionnaire. We’ll send you FREE personalized disc recommendations within 1 business day along with a coupon code for $5 off your next order.GET PRO TIPS